Tuesday, August 17, 2010

549 days later.

It's been 549 days - a year and a half- since my world fell apart. February 17th, 2009 was 549 days ago. the day I lost ability to play water polo for "six to twelve months," when all I has expected going into the surgery was three to twelve. With the additional torn ligament in my shoulder came that extra six months that would lead to testing my patience and strength and causing me to red shirt my freshman season of water polo at Concordia Irvine. It would be the.first time in nine years that I couldn't do the once thing that I have always loved since I began at 8 years old.


Meet my Passion: water polo. It began when I was eight years old. I had always been a swimmer, joining the team since I was four. But that all changed soon. I had to watch my sister practice every day during the summer. Each day the coach, mister Gordy Smith, tried to get me in the water with all the power he had. he would tell my mom "tomorrow I will get her in, just wait." And eventually he was right. That's when I fell in love, at 8 years old.

I was a natural for my age. I owe that to Gordy. He probably doesn't know because I haven't talked to him in years, but I thank him so much for convincing me to just get in and play. I moved on to a new team a few years later: San Jose Splash. I played under head coach of SJSU women's water polo, who I owe a lot of my other success to. Although I was only eleven or twelve at the time, he let me join the 14 and under team, which is where I became a true player. Swimming had gone to the back of my mind and water polo was all I could think about. At the end of seventh grade, one of my sister's teammate's dads saw me play and asked when I would be coming to the high school team because he knew great things were in store. And I think that is when it all became clear. I wasn't just an average player. I was good, and I actually had a chance of being great.

I entered the high school team when I was thirteen. Just a young girl with a lot more talent than you would expect just by looking at me. I was basically leading practices as one of two freshmen on the team...and I was in love. I ended the season as high scorer and with the Coaches Award, not a surprise as I was playing for the lady who taught me to swim - Cathy Manthy. When she taught me to swim at four I had no clue I would be calling her grandma and working for her ten years later. She is the one I owe my life to for all she has done, and is truly one of the strongest, most amazing women I have ever known.

Sorry for the side note, but I couldn't post this blog without recognizing her.

My sophomore year I moved up to the varsity team and played for another amazing coach: Miss Laura Scott, now Mrs. Laura Benton. I had played for her at Splash as well. She was one of Lou's players at SJSU and one of the most amazing two meter players to come through that school. Being a two meet player, I was one of Laura's priorities that season. She taught me most of her secrets and what I know now. I can honestly say I would not be the player I am today without her. Though I was not a starter due to the fact I was a sophomore, I ended that season as team high scorer again, receiving the Breakthrough Player of the Year award as well. I didn't understand what the award meant at the time, but I soon realized and found out I had shocked Laura and really everyone with all my talent as a sophomore and that wasn't ending anytime soon.

Knowing how well I had done the year before fueled my junior season. I got to play for Laura again and got even closer to her. Now that we had an assistant coach, she could help me focus on my two meter skills. I was the team's primary hole set and knowing that inspired me to do my best in every game so the team wouldn't be let down. I played the best, and worst, game of my life that year at my rival high school, Presentation. Our varsity team had not beaten them in years, but I was determined to change that. It was the most intense game I have ever played. Sprinting back and forth for four quarters without being dubbed, I wasn't even tired. I had more adrenaline than ever before, entering the last fifteen seconds with a tied score. Suddenly a player on our team was ejected for a personal foul, and we were down one. I flew to the center of the cage with a hand up, helping my goalie Becca as much as I could. With one second left, a shot was fired. Hitting the side of my hand, and Becca barely missing it, the ball entered the cage and my heart sunk. It was over. We shook hands and went to our corner where I hugged Laura as my eyes were pouring with tears. But as she hugged me, I knew I could trust her and is to this day one of the only people who can turn my day around regardless of the situation. The season continued, and we all moved on. I was once again team high scorer, this time earning Offensive Player of the Year and being named to second team All-League. Though not everything went my way, that was the best season of my life and I couldn't wait for my senior season with Laura.

A month before school started, I found out Laura would not be coaching my senior season due to finishing school and coaching at a junior college. My heart sank but I knew it was best for her. We were coached by Kelly Walitsch and Jordan Jensen, now Mr. and Mrs. Jensen :) Being the co captain and it being my senior year, I knew it was up to me to help the transition and keep the team as one. It was a long season with a lot of drama, but it was still fun. We had done amazingly with what we had. Before we knew it, the last game of the season, and what I thought would be my last game ever, had arrived. But with my shoulder acting up, I played the worst game of my life. I got out of the pool unable to move my arm. At that moment all I could think was "there is no way in help I'm going out like this." I ended that season as high scorer, Offensive Player of the Year, first team All-League, and second high scorer All-League. But it wouldn't be the end of me.

After much delay and frustration, my surgery was scheduled for February 17th, 549 days ago. And that is where I am today - still waiting to play again and continue to fall in love with the sport.

Many people ask me why I love the game and all I do is smile before answering. Sometimes words can't describe something. No one can understand the rush I get as my shot goes in. The excitement I get when I get my defender ejected. The feeling of triumph as I steal the ball. And most importantly the "haha screw you" feeling when my sneaky self gets away with something I do wrong. Unless you experience it, you will never understand. And I don't expect you to. Just know I am love with this sport because it is who I am. And nothing will change it.
I hope all of you have a passion this large. And if you don't, find it now. It fuels you, empowers you, makes you feel whole. And once you have that passion burning, don't let anyone try to stop you.

never forget to dream,
xoxo, L.

No comments:

Post a Comment