Sunday, October 3, 2010

if you really knew Lisa...

Lately I've been meeting people and keep hearing the same thing. They tell me, after getting to know me of course, that I'm a completely different person than they expected. A lot of the time, my "first impression" is something along the lines of, "a spoiled little rich girl who never had to work for anything" or "a fake, annoying girl who wanted everyone to like her" or "a girly girl who would be disgusted at the idea of dirt or breaking a sweat" or something like that. And if you know me for who I am, who know that is...well, basically the opposite of me.

I feel like a lot of the time, we just stick with the first impression. And it can, in the end, screw us over. Say you meet someone who seems like the most amazing person you have ever met, and you stick with the impression. Well, from there you expect them to be that same lively, fun person every day from there on out. And soon enough, you realize this "great" person is no more than a backstabber living behind a friendly mask, or something of that essence. Or say you meet someone and you only see them as a snotty, self-absorbed person, so you never give them a fair opportunity to prove themselves. For all you know, that person could have been the one to change your life. But she won't be, because you didn't give her a chance.
I don't want to make myself out to be some sinless, innocent person in this situation. Because I know for a fact that I have been guilty of this in the past. But I'm giving it my all to change that. And maybe, if I risk spilling my heart so you get to know me for me, you'll be willing to risk me getting to know you when you spill yours. As stated by one of my favorite artists, He Is We, "We all have a story to tell, whether we whisper or yell..."

If you really know me, you'd know I'm a girl who has been blessed to have life at all. Born a month early, my life was on the line right away. Nothing changed for a long time. At four, I had major kidney surgery to save my life, which I will have a hideous scar from for the rest of my life. But considering it saved my life, I don't mind. The fact that I've survived since then, with just one kidney which almost failed, amazes me.
I don't want to sound like I'm God's gift to earth, because that is NOT my view. But in all honesty, I know I only lived past the age of four for a reason. And what that reason is, I don't know, but I plan on finding out.

If you really knew me, you'd know I hate talking about my emotions. Mainly because I'm afraid they will scare people away. I hate to cry in front of ANYONE, except my mom. Because, well, she is the only person required to love me still ;) But really. Crying in front of anyone besides her scares me, and it rarely happens. However, she is the one person who can get me to open up and cry, and I'm so grateful for that. Because sometimes, tears are the best medicine. At least in my life.

If you really knew me, you'd know I hate to give anything less than 100%. I've been a hard worker since day one. Probably because I'm determined to be the best at everything. And yes, I know that is extremely unrealistic. To those who have thought I was a spoiled girl who didn't know how to work for herself, here I prove you wrong. I've had a job since age 13. And yes, I've been spoiled by my parents, but only because I deserve it, according to them. Working hard pays off, regardless of whether its as an athlete, a student, employee, or person in general. And if I didn't believe that, I wouldn't be busting my butt in the pool, at school, at work, or in life. I just want to be the best and prove the haters wrong.

If you really knew me, you'd know I actually do care about other people. I ask you how you're doing because I actually want to know. And if it's not well, I want to try and make it better. If I can just put a smile on your face, or make you laugh, or take one ounce of pain away, I feel like I can breathe. I don't want you to worry about how I'm doing, I'll always find a way to make it through. I'll put you first, make sure you are okay, and be there for you regardless. I'll be the one to answer the phone at 3 AM and talk you through your meltdown. I'll be the one to drive an hour to visit you if you need me, even if it's for a couple of minutes. All I want to do in life is make people happy, or do something to change a life, or save someone from something, anything.

If you really knew me, you'd know I love being a tomboy just as much as I love being a girly girl. I love to sweat, to work out, to get dirty if I have to. I love cars and extreme sports. I play water polo and wake board. But I love painting my nails, talking on the phone, and flirting. I love spending the day with my girls, belting love songs at the top of my lungs, and being carefree. I think living life with a good combination like that is what is so exciting, and I wish more girls would step out of there comfort zone and be one of the guys every now and then. I try to live life on the edge and be spontaneous, but not forgetting who I am.

If you really knew me, you'd know I'm afraid of spilling my heart. That this entire blog post is something I'm afraid of in itself. I'm afraid people will actually get to know me and hate what they find. But if that's what happens, I will accept it. I just want people to know Lisa. I want to get to know you, and I want you to get to know me. I think getting to know others is something we all take for granted. Everyone is more than what you can tell from a first impression, or even a second and third impression.

This is just a glimpse of me. Writing it all would impossible. So I challenge YOU to actually try and get to know me. And I'll do the same for you :)

Don't be afraid to pour yourself out on a canvas for all the world to see. Or even just one person to see. For all you know, the colors you leave behind will be the most beautiful painting that person has ever seen. 

never forget to dream,
xoxo, L.

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog btw! And you're right, it completely sucks to be pre-judged BUT - it can have it's rewards. Someone say's you're so rich bitch with no responsibilities. It's there own insecurity and immaturity to have have judged you in the first place. Let the judge, you have no reason to prove otherwise. People are ALWAYS going to talk about you, whether good or bad. The only thing you can do, is smile :) and I can see you've gotten that one down just fine. It also helps if you, yourself don't judge...it can help steer clear of those types of people who do judge. Just live and accept and remember: YOU HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE TO ANYONE!

    Love you Lisa.

    Xo Shay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, you are a beautiful writer and and even more beautiful person and friend. I know I can always count on you; early in the morning, late at night, rain or shine. Thank you for being a wonderful friend who truly and deeply cares about people, their life and your place in it all. I love how you give 100% to every relationship, knowing it may fall through. But thats the beauty of your soul; you love with no bounds, expecting nothing back, and yet still pouring out your whole heart. That's what Jesus calls us to do. Thank you for this sweet reminder to take it further than a first, or even second, impression, remembering that the true character of a person may be hiding at first, but upon finding it, could change your life.

    You have blessed me, my beautiful friend!
    Love, Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shay thank you! don't get me wrong, I love when people judge and I get to prove them wrong. It makes life fun :)

    And Michaela your comment literally made my night. Thank you for being amazing! I'll love with no bounds even if it kills me. Love you girlfriend!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you sissy!!! People will always have their opinions (about everything and anything) but what makes you happy and makes you feel good about yourself is all that matters. :)

    ReplyDelete